Founded in 2007, Cycle Portland is a cornerstone bike shop, now located in the beautiful Historic Merchant Hotel, three blocks from the popular Waterfront Park. Managed by a young family of entrepreneurs with a shared vision, our mission is to support and inspire visiting and local cyclists alike through guided bike tours, affordable well-maintained bike rentals, and high-quality repairs.
We are hiring likeminded staff with a passion for all things bikes and an interest in showcasing Portland’s history and unique progressive bike culture with visitors. As part of our small team, you’ll have the opportunity to advise travelers about your favorite local attractions and hotspots, fit folks on rental bikes, help plan their route, lead guests around town as part of our easy-going cycling excursions, and lend a hand to our full-service bike shop.
While primarily focused on tour guiding, this position will encompass guiding up to two tours per day (2-5 hours of outdoor time, rain or shine) on our Foodie, Brewery, or City bike excursions. Back at the shop you’ll help guide clients through our bike rental process, answer questions about the products and services we offer, and help keep the shop running smoothly. You’ll also be provided with resources to help you dive deeper into the history of our city in both past, present, and future as we work to keep our tours engaging, fun, and informative.
Part-Time position and Full-Time position available.
Seasonal with the possibility of staying on year-round.
Semi-flexible scheduling; 20-35 hours/week preferred.
Preference will go to those with weekend availability.
Shop hours are Daily 10am-6pm
$15-17/hr starting DOE (plus gratuities and incentive-based compensation)
Free occasional use of rentals
45% Discounts on quality bike products and shop services.
1 week – paid vacation (accrued)
1 week – paid sick leave (accrued)
• Must be 21+ years of age.
• Must obtain a First Aid/CPR certification within 30 days of hire
• Must be a confident cyclist and know or be willing to learn how to repair a flat tire
• Ability to lift bicycles and other objects up to 50 pounds on a regular basis, however reasonable accommodations can be made for qualified applicants
• Must be LGBTQ friendly. We encourage POC, Trans, Non-Binary, Gender-Non-Conforming, Women, and Marginalized Groups to apply
Knowledge and skill in the following areas is preferred (but not required), and represents core strengths as part of this position:
• Genuine desire to work with and listen to the public both as a tour guide, and as part of our shop staff to meet client where they’re at with their needs
• Excellent public speaking skills, comfortable working with and projecting to audiences of up to 12 individuals at a time
• Strong verbal and written communication skills
• Curiosity! We love learning about Portland, and it’s up to us to be informed as our city and region evolve
• Self-motivated and comfortable asking for support when needed
• Experience in the performance arts, previous bike shops, bike mechanical knowledge, and tour guiding while not required, is a plus
Thanks for your interest in working for us!
How to Apply
As part of your resume, please include two current references and a brief paragraph about why you’d be a good fit for this position, as well as your weekday/weekend availabilities.
Email your resume, references, and paragraph of intent to email@example.com with “Tour Guide Applicant” as the subject line.
For more information about Cycle Portland, visit our Facebook or Instagram page! We look forward to hearing from you~